Manifesto of the 700 marks
- There are corporations producing goods and masses consuming these goods.
- Masses work for corporations, but do not establish their policies.
- Masses work for corporations, but do not have a share in it’s profits.
- Oligarchs - owners of corporations determine what produce to the public.
- Oligarchs - owners of corporations distribute all the profits.
- Most oligarchs do not consume what their corporations produce.
- Humanity and nature become tools for their enrichment.
- Overcoming the exploitation can only be due to the principle "owner is the one who works".
- Workers-owners themselves elect a management and establish the company policies.
- Worker-owners divide all profits among themselves.
- Economic democracy frees political democracy from the oligarchs.
- Mankind possess a capital, and cooperation among cooperatives changes the world.
Manifesto of 10 items
- Capitalism has formed a consumer society that is divided into corporations that produce mass products, and the masses who consume these products. This separation is due to the different ratio of the means of production: only a small part of society possesses the key corporations ad defines their policies. Masses can only consume what the corporations offer.
- The public system loses its unity. In it separately operating subject - corporations, backed by oligarchs – and the object, which serves the majority of people.
- The corporations’ goal is profit. The masses goal in such a system is maintenance of corporations’ goal that is consumption.
- Both goals are not self-sufficient. Neither the corporations nor the masses do not get final satisfaction from their achievements, as profits in the hands of oligarchs is transformed into a tool for getting more profit in the new cycle, and the masses are in a perpetual state of expectations of new products, each of which is only a phantom, the value of which disappears when announcing further series updates.
- Obviously, a person in such a system is only a function of capital, and the system tends to a bad infinity, that leading to physical destruction of the planet due to the depletion of its resources.
- Breaking this vicious circle can only the overcoming the exploitation principle, which is based on the separation of the economic subject and object - the owner of the corporation and its workers, the producers and the consumer of goods - by combining them together.
- The synthesis of the thesis and the antithesis of capitalism engenders collective worker-owner, who is responsible for establishing company policy, including the development of innovation, and, at one time, he is the executor of the policy and the beneficiary of its success or failure. In the case of production of consumer goods, he is also it’s customer.
- Oligarchy as a phenomenon disappears at the stage of distribution of profits, when the return on each firm is divided between its workers. The economy free from the state redistribution and politics free from the pressure of the oligarchy, clearing the reputation of democracy.
- Mankind comes out from the power of capital and subordinate it their goals. This makes it possible to stop for a while and reconsider purposes for which the means of production used.
- Cooperative economy offers the freedom to create not only within the company in relation to the production of goods, but also for humanity in the cooperation among cooperatives to create a qualitatively new world and a qualitatively new type of man.
Abstracts of Creator Society Movement Manifesto
1. Dialectics and the Creative Class
1. Successes of capitalism lead to its destruction.
"Everything that exists has its germ of destruction in its very birth," - Hegel wrote, referring to the eastern wisdom. Capitalism as an intermediate link between the economic structures within himself bears the reasons for the transition to another economic structure. That is internal logic of economic development. Fulfilling its role in providing basic material goods, capitalism gives a way to a new model that can satisfy the highest-level needs.
Capitalism is not good and not bad, it is just a link in the chain of development. The very success of capitalism accelerate its "final" rather than crises, as Marx thought.
2. Capitalism creates the creative class. Creative class destroys capitalism.
Advanced capitalism is an information age, which increases the availability of information, education and communication. It gives more opportunities for the masses to self-development. As a result, so-called "creative class" has formed, which is a new social institution undermining foundations of capitalism to the extent of its expansion.
Creative class is part of post-industrial society as its intellectual and cultural level formed on the basis of success of capitalism in the fields of education, information technologies and communications, but it can not fully succeed in capitalist system due to lack of motivation of higher level: ability to satisfy needs of belonging, respect and creativity within capitalist corporations.
3. Maslow pyramid: Capitalism offers not enough motivation for creative class.
Thanks to capitalism, creative class has the first two needs of Maslow’s pyramid as satisfied: physiological and safety. The third need is partially satisfied in belonging to a social group. In private life, it can be satisfied but at work it can’t be fully done since an employee where he is employed does not consider this corporation to be his own and does not associate success of this corporation with his own success. Corporation is not his because it does not belong to him.
Satisfaction of needs in respect and especially creativity in capitalist corporations is nearly excluded, and first of all because of lack of motivation to show initiative as an employee is not a co-owner and does not have any share in profits. Secondly, through the bureaucracy of the capitalist companies.
4. Ownership is required to meet the higher-level needs.
Workers alienation from the company overcome by granting him the right to ownership. Worker-owner, along with ownership, gets a voice in matters of the firm, the right to vote for the election of the firm's management and has a guaranteed share of the profits. If the company loses, it will be losses of each worker, and that understanding gives the discipline and responsibility.
Voting rights with respect to the company's activity is the right to self-realization, that is creativity. Everyone can express his or her opinion, offer new ideas as an equal partner. To work in such an atmosphere is getting interesting, the work begins to like, so motivation restored.
5. Worker-owner is a synthesis of thesis and antithesis of capitalism.
Workers and owners (shareholders) confrontation is a classic capitalism. On the one hand, the oligarchs buy luxury yachts and mansions, and workers are paid a penny.
On the other hand, the workers are unionized and organized strikes that stop the production; inhibit the introduction of new technologies, fearing that with increasing in productivity they will be paid as well; trying to bargain for the best "social package" and the earlier retirement, not thinking about the costs of the company.
It is a vicious circle that stops progress. Break it can only the union of the working person and the owner together in a collective worker-owner.
2. Consumer society and creator society
1. Capitalism generates consumer society.
Property is divided on the property for consumption and the property for creation (production). The first is required a person to live, the second - to create. However, if only the property for consumption is available, consumption can become an end in itself.
Under capitalism, 80% of the means of production belong to about 20% of people. Others have access only to consumer products. In the absence of access to means of production, consumption becomes for 80% of the citizens sole meaning of existence.
2. Consumer society is the path to degradation.
Consumption relaxes a human being, reduces his internal discipline and tone enjoying is not aimed at some certain result to be responsible for. It is important the process itself. And if there’s no goal and move towards it, a human being loses his integrity. Actually, the word "integrity" (in Ukrainian and Russian) comes from the word goal. One who has his goal is an integral personality.
Moreover, permanent consumption can never bring true pleasure, but only brings boredom. Each "novelty" get a person bored and he or she wants to try something extraordinary or prohibited. "All the evils is from boredom" - Anton Chekhov wrote.
3. Creativity is the vocation of the human being.
The Bible says: "Be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect." This can be understood as a call to be morally perfect, but given the fact that God is the Creator, it can also be understood as a call for a person to create his own.
In our view, it is creativity that is true vocation of man in the world, and to be a master is the greatest achievement. Master sounds proud! Though there are no limits of perfection, because Creator’s perfection itself is infinite.
When working a creator abstracts from routine problems and transforms into format of supersubstantial existence as the object of his efforts only becomes important for him and he is completely absorbed and interested in it. Human nature reaches maximum intention in creative act.
4. Creator economy is a basis of creator society.
A creator being either an artist, writer or anyone else embodies his creative idea into a particular work of art using materials and tools. Translating it into economic terminology a brush in hands of an artist is his means of production.
Some plant or factory together with all the equipment there is the same means of production for an employee. Accordingly, if we want to provide creativity in economy, we have to give an employee material and means of production he will create by using them.
Cooperative model fulfills this requirement: workers are the owners in a cooperative and the work collective is becoming a new creative unit.
Creator economy is an economic system based on ownership of employees on means of production and results of work where principle of economic democracy is available: one man - one vote providing this way higher level of freedom, motivation and creative self-fulfillment compared to capitalist model.
This specified economic model stipulates free market, noninterference in market self-regulation by a state, private entrepreneurship initiative as the main factor of economic development and cooperative form of ownership on means of production as a factor of fair distribution of company's profits and overcoming detachment of an employee from means and results of labor.
Creator economy takes into account advantages of free market, rejects disadvantages of socialism as well recognizes fair criticism of capitalism by socialism.
5. Creator society is posteconomic society.
Mankind will not always deal with the economy. "To earn bread by the sweat of one’s brow" it is a punishment for the sin of man, and it is not eternal. When we find out how the economy should work and adapting it to Christian values, the economy itself falling by the wayside.
Knowledge of oneself and the world and God having created both the world and human being becomes the most important thing here. It is about spiritual development and scientific study of nature and space and, finally, search for the lost unity with God and restoration of this unity. These are finer and more pleasant topics than economy.
In unity with Creator the human being can and must find courage to dare to create by himself - create a new type of the human being, new harmony with nature continuing universe started by Creator going on the level of the noosphere academician Vernadsky wrote about.
Creator society is a posteconomic society where production and consumption of goods are just servicing and auxiliary tools of a human being to know God, self-knowledge and scientific progress and, moreover, dare to create new unity with God and harmony with the world through creation of noosphere.
3. Other factors of transition to cooperative model
1. Progress of freedom. The second part of democracy – economic democracy
German philosopher Georg Hegel believed that history was "progress in awareness of freedom." Democracy has replaced the monarchy; absolute power was replaced by delegation of authority. Few people would say that it was an accident.
If a monarch was not appointed by people and transferred power as inheritance, a contemporary tycoon - owner of a factory isn’t similarly appointed nor controlled by workforce and he transfers his factory together with his employees to his children as inheritance. The alternative system is the cooperative where each employee has one vote.
Moreover, the most common thing is so-called Board of Directors of a cooperative elected by employees and top management elected and controlled by the very Board of Directors. It is very similar to a parliamentary republic where Board of Directors is parliament, and top management is government.
Voting rights at the workplace equally with right to labor results should form the basis of Constitution of every democratic country.
We think that economic development encourages to distinguish a separate chapter in Constitution - "Human economic rights and freedoms" which will be peculiar Economic Constitution and protect the basic integral human rights in this field of life.
2. Value of a person in the economy - overcoming exploitation of one human being by another one
The human being in capitalism is not a goal. The goal is money and profit the owner of a company wants to get using equipment and raw materials and workforce. It means an employee is equaled to equipment. Equipment needs depreciation expenses and an employee needs expenses of the owner of a company to recover his physical condition.
Christianity teaches to love your neighbor as yourself. Immanuel Kant in his categorical imperative confirmed that a human being should be a goal for other human being only based on view of mind and not heart.
Regarding capitalism an employee is an intermediate link between the owner of a company and profit. An intermediate link can be a means only.
Consequently, if an enterprise replenishment cycle finishes with getting profit, then an employee must be available on the last stage meaning that this employee should get profit as well. Only an owner of means of production has right to some profit, therefore workers should be owners, which is implemented in co-op.
3. Ownership and entrepreneurial spirit
"Capitalist process replacing factory walls and equipment with just a pile of shares dilutes the very idea of ownership" - wrote J. Schumpeter. "This disappearance of what can be called as material substance of property, its visible and tangible reality, does not only affect its owners treatment but treatment of employees and society as a whole. Property being dematerialized and deprived of their functions doesn’t impress nor inspire sense of loyalty as it did during the period of its prosperity."
Responsibility, commitment to some undertaking and entrepreneurial spirit which, sharing Schumpeter’s opinion, are based on "material substance of property" should not belong to the past with a sense of ownership and on the contrary they should be spread from several favorites to broad masses on the basis of the principle of freedom progress.
Worker-owner becomes an entrepreneur in Schumpeter’s understanding, an innovator who thinks in the framework of innovative development and he should learn and develop by himself.
4 steps to the creator society
- Legally enforceable right of the staff members to income ensures it’s equitable distribution and reduces the people stratification;
- Participation in the distribution of income and the opportunity to choose their management restores employee motivation to work;
- Improved financial position as a result of step 1, and the origin of creative interest to work as a result of step 2, shifting priorities of society from consumption to production (creation) goods;
- Development of STP and poverty reduction in the world change the economy focus of providing utilitarian needs of mankind to the research foundations of the universe and the creative transformation and inspiration of the world.
Roman Skliarov, Bila Tserkva, Ukraine, December 1, 2013